Thursday 12 November 2015

Visual Word Wall

The visual word wall has always been the most used 'interactive' wall in my classroom.

What is a visual word wall and how does it differ from a word wall? The cards have a picture to match the word. This assists students in finding the word that they are looking for. Working in a school with a high population of ESL students, I can't ever imagine using a word wall with no visuals.

Here are some pictures of my Word Wall over the years;




These aren't neat because these walls get used everyday. Let's be honest no working word wall is ever going to stay tidy!

I've had different ways of organising the cards; no organisation, nouns/verbs/adjectives and alphabetically. Overall my favourite way is the alphabetical method. This saves a LOT of time when finding words and aids in reinforcing letter/sound relationships. 

Sorting the cards alphabetically also lends itself to playing fun games such a word hunt - say a word and have students find it on the word wall.

The word cards are based on words that students would use most often. I update the cards when I see a common need or when words keep popping up in student writing.

Check out my Visual Word Wall by clicking the picture below. The cards with items like iPad, PlayStation and Mc Donald's are not included. However I've left blank cards in the product if you would like to make your own for use in your own classroom.


https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Visual-Word-Wall-2202315

2 comments:

  1. I purchased your visual wall- it is EPIC! Love it!!!! Would you consider doing another one with more words? I love your vertical format with very clear writing, would really enjoy another set. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leica, I will be adding some more words during the holidays. Check your purchase history. It will tell you there's an update once I have uploaded it :)

      Delete